A weekend in the District, Part II

21 Jul

I meant to write this post yesterday, but other things seemed more appealing. Not that I don’t like to blog, because I do – very much- it’s just that it can be time consuming and sometimes there are other ways I’d rather spend my time. I need to take advantage of that while I still have a great deal of control over how I spend my time, ya dig?

Anyway, onto the second part of my lovely weekend in D.C.

Saturday morning I woke up happy to have slept through the night without being woken up by a natural disaster (okay, so that wimpy earthquake wasn’t a disaster by any means but I value my sleep). After getting ready, Laura and I decided to get breakfast at The Cereal Bowl, which is kind of like Coldstone but with cereal in that they have several bases and then you can add stuff in. Laura and I both chose the “Dad Knows Best”, which was simply oatmeal, bananas, strawberries, and blueberries.

There are actually only a handful of these stores, and in extremely random locations (well, besides D.C.) Other locations include Newark, DE;  New Brunswick, NJ; Education City, Qatar; Miami, FL; and Puerto Rico. I wouldn’t mind having one in Ohio. At all.

Afterwards we went to the Petco across the street on a whim to  look at the animals and spent a lot of time in front of the rats. I am slightly creeped out by rats in subways and things like that, but as pets I can see how they would be appealing. I wish I had taken pictures, because there were a few that were pretty cute.

We had plans to meet our friend Amy at the zoo, so we walked down to the Starbucks across the street from it while we waited for her to come in on the Metro. I had an iced caramel soy latte that more than hit the spot – it was, once again, scorching.

When Amy arrived we simply walked right into the zoo because it’s free! I wouldn’t have minded paying but free things are always nice. Right when we walked in I noticed something I’d never seen before but that is totally necessary: a misting station.

We obviously took advantage of those.

Some of my favorite animals we saw were

the oryx...I think this was the only one the zoo had?

I hope everyone knows what this is

an elephant shrew! We all wanted to take one home

Alpacas living the dream

While the zoo was definitely a great time and had tons of cute animals, I’d have to say my favorite zoo is the Denver Zoo. I went there my senior year of high school on a trip my school newspaper took to Denver for a conference. I just really liked the way it was set up, plus the mountains in the background were a perk. Unfortunately I couldn’t find a decent picture of the zoo to show you. Believe it or not, my photo skills were even worse in 2007 than they are now.

After the zoo Laura and I went back to her place and relaxed for a few hours before dinner. We chose to eat at ripple, and I could absolutely kick myself for not taking pictures because it was my favorite meal of the weekend. I don’t remember the specifics, but we split a cheese plate, and I had risotto for my entrée. It was delightful. I don’t even know if pictures could do it justice.

We hopped on the Metro down to Dupont Circle and then walked over to the Studio Theatre to see Passing Strange. The neighborhood we walked through to get to the theatre is where I would definitely want to live if I ever live in DC. There’s a Whole Foods, a yoga studio, a lululemon store and a lot of really cool looking restaurants. I’m sure this area has a name, but I don’t know it.

Passing Strange wasn’t really like any other musical I had ever seen (well, the list is embarrassingly short), but I really enjoyed it. The theatre was pretty small (three sections of about six or seven rows), so that made it even better. I’d probably see it again.

We couldn’t end the night without dessert, so we went to Pitango on the way back to the Metro station, where I got some delicious banana gelato.

The next morning we went to Firehook again and I got the same thing I got on Friday except instead of an iced coffee I had a fabulous mango smoothie. We spent some time relaxing there before I hit the road.

Six hours later I was back in suburban Ohio. Oh, how different it is from D.C.

Thanks again to Laura for keeping me thoroughly entertained the entire weekend and for letting me crash on her couch 🙂

I have a post planned for sometime in the next few days to which I’m looking forward, so keep your eyes peeled for that!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: